THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:10 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Yes, this is the real KC.
 Post subject: The Curious Case of the Day After Yesterday ((Bookcat))
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:04 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Yes, this is the real KC.
Renée grunted with effort as she shoved the last crate into place. She stepped back and let herself take a deep breath as she took in her work. Around her, the sounds of the port went on without pause in recognition of her hard work. A short time ago, she would not have minded this fact of life, but at this point, the young woman was in a particularly bad mood.

She turned on her heel and stomped out of the open sided warehouse, headed for her employer's office. She opened the door roughly without being let in, and instantly regretted it as she saw that the portly gentleman was in the process of... eating about four sticks of butter at once.

He smacked his dairy-caked jaws together, causing little flecks of butter to fly out onto the desk. Renée recoiled in horror and disgust, but squared her shoulders and stepped up. "Mister Warbler, I want my pay."

His expression did not change, but he rubbed a sleeve of his shirt against his greasy mouth and swallowed his mouthful. "An' why should I give yew somethin' I don't give nobody til they've FINISHED their work?"

The young woman glowered. "Listen here, you think I'd come HERE if I wasn't done?!" Her sensitivity had been crushed to dust during her first week of work, and she knew that the old codger couldn't quite make out any words that excluded food and money.

He seemed to consider this, then opened a drawer and flipped a sixpence at her. "There ye go, luv. Don't spend it all in one place now." He smirked at the rage showing in her face before pulling out a small envelope. "Now, now. Don't make such an expression. Mister Warbler's a very generous man, after all." He tossed the envelope to the other side of his desk, and resumed eating after Renée snatched it up.

Without another word, she turned and left the office, closing the door tightly.

Once away from her oppressive place of work, she sighed and popped her spine before tucking her pay into the waistband of her ugly work trousers. "Well... So ends another day."

BELIEVE IN MAGIC MUGGLES!
 Post subject: Re: The Curious Case of the Day After Yesterday ((Bookcat))
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:31 pm GMT 

Custom Title: BELIEVE IN MAGIC MUGGLES!
Lucy shook her hair out of it's neat bun, letting the blond curls fall around her shoulders then quickly pulled it into a tight pony tail. She had no time for letting her hair down, she had work to do.
She adjusted the straps on her too big grease stained overalls and laced up her steel toed boots sluggishly, with her other job at night she could barely stay awake during this one. She shook the tempting croons of the sandman out of her head and proceeded to the garage willing herself to be awake.

As she entered she nodded to the assaults of whistles and "Hey Luv!", she was used to it by now and the boys knew that if they tried anything she'd break their arms. She was no soft rich lady, she was a hard working gal with a few coins to spare when she wanted. She grinned at the guys, she was the engineer in chief of 'Mick's Repair and Refurbish Shop' and she was that only girl in the whole place.

"Pass me the 32, Cheq.. thanks... And that should do it." She sat back with a hearty smile, wiping her hands on her overalls. She patted the side of the mechanical horse while passing the job to Cheq, he could handle it from there.
She wiped her forehead on her arm and made her way to back to grab a drink.
The back of the garage was almost always open 'cause of the constant heat that radiated from the shop. All that was there was a set of dirty couches, a mini fridge and a radio. The open garage door gave full view of the warehouses and the workers, and, if you looked hard enough, a small glimmer of the sea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:10 pm GMT 

Renée walked past Lucy's garage without a second thought. She often walked different ways back to her tiny home, mostly on account of her inability to remember a path twice. Still, she vaguely recognized the place from seeing it so many times from the corner of her eye, and felt safe enough to use it as a sort of landmark for the time being.

She planned on leaving this stupid city, after all. The job hopping wasn't all that great, and she hated how expensive everything was. But she would soon be able to afford the train ticket to the country. There, the air would be free of any smog and she could work a healthy job as a milkmaid or something with an equally stupid name. She smirked slightly at the thought of herself as a dimwitted farm girl.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:50 pm GMT 

After a few sips from her water she slumped onto the couch, exhaustion taunting her limbs into heaviness. She slapped her cheeks and sat back up, she couldn't afford napping on the job.
Lucy shook her head and turned her focus to the road, watching the passer-byers and thinking of their lives.

Lucy glanced at the passerby with mild interest, a girl in lines of warehouse work by the looks of it, she seemed just a bit frustrated. "'Ey, Girlie, d'you need a drink?" She shouted while waving a bottle of soda.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:02 pm GMT 

The brown and white girl froze, her whiskers twitching. Her reverie had been deep enough to momentarily make her forget her surroundings.. She turned towards the sound of the voice calling out to her, ready to be outraged by someone's brazen cheekiness. She saw it was Lucy, beckoning her with a bottle of that carbonated cordial her classmates had always been sucking down. She pursed her lips at the memory and lightly shook her head.

"No thanks, I've got to be going."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:17 pm GMT 

Lucy pouted, she needed someone to keep her awake.
"Do I know you?" She called out, hoping to catch the girl's attention.

She got up and jogged over to the girl, following her quick pace easily, she could at least chat while on her break. Lucy glanced up and shuddered at the mechanical shrieking, they must have turned on the horse. With a grimace she decided that the boys could handle it themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:27 pm GMT 

She frowned and continued walking away. There was just something she didn't want to become, after all-- She didn't want to be one of those trusting young women who step away from their path and end up worse for it. Very fairy tale, yes, she admitted to herself. But there was a reason for that.

She looked back as Lucy paused and quietly and quickly ducked into a well lit side street.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm GMT 

Lucy carefully followed behind and took out her little pet, her robot dragon, which was only about the size of her palm. She set the little thing after the girl and turned, making her way back to the shop. Lucy skipped back, ignoring the tired men's sexist comments and stares.
She was used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:47 pm GMT 

Renée walked along for a bit, unaware of her clockwork stalker. She was now on the subject of cautionary tales, which was luckily very heavy thinking. She liked to think because it was far less strenuous than lifting and stacking stupid crates.

"Gotta find a career in thinking, then." She mumbled absently.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:08 pm GMT 

Lucy hurried back to the shop and into her work, she still had to work till night fall, that was an hour and half away. She grabbed her tool belt and slung it around her hips loosely and set off to repairs.
In the back of her mind a little voice reminded her she didn't have to live like she did, she pushed it away with a shake of her head.

The little dragon whirred after the girl, it's wings barely making a sound.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:34 pm GMT 

She made the rest of her way home without incident, and was in a fairly pleasant mood as she unlocked her front door. "One good thing about having to do something different every day," She mused. "Is that I don't always end up with terrible things to distract me." She light her lantern and closed the door again.

After preforming her rigorous nighttime hygiene rituals (boiling water with lemon and oil for a shiny coat, forty five chin-ups to keep ready in case of a sudden attack by bodybuilders, etc.), she finally discarded her work clothes and fell into her small bed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm GMT 

The dragon curled up on the girl's desk and set itself on sleep mode, hidden under a few pieces of paper.

Lucy tied her overall straps around her waist so she just wore a black t-shirt on top and began making her way home, tired and dirty from a long day's shift. She wandered her way back to her apartment and entered, pushing aside various pieces of scrap metal and plans with her feet. She stripped to starkers and made her way to her shower for a quick cold wash before bed.
Lucy threw wet but clean self into some pj's and then onto her bed for a long dreamless sleep.

At 3 she pulled her body up and dragged herself into a bright pink dress and navy blue dress that was her uniform of the bank she worked at in the mornings till lunch.
It wasn't a particularly fun job, not even on her list, but it made her money.

As she slowly made her way to the bank she was assaulted by flying news bots exclaiming about a stolen prince or princess or some stupid noble kidnapped by a bad guy or what ever. She really wasn't in the right mind yet to follow social protocol like caring about the rich people's problems and whatnot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:03 pm GMT 

The next morning, -a few hours after Lucy had started her waitressing shift, actually- Renée awoke and was surprised to see a desk in her room. She blinked and rubbed her eyes to clear away this vision.... And was relieved when it turned out to be nothing more than the little endtable she'd scrounged up and used to hold small notes and a jar full of dirt. Why the jar? She didn't know.

Sleepily, she rose and went through her regimen again before dressing and preparing for another day of monotonous manual labor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:33 pm GMT 

The robot began to turn on, sensing the movement, with a slight clicking of gears and quiet whirring of motors the dragon began to warm up.
It scampered from the table to the wall, the dragon's claws taking easy purchase into it, and found a part where it could blend in.

Lucy, on the other hand, didn't have the grace of a quick start up, she had made it to the bank and was forced to sit through an agonizingly long employee speech. After the speech came the cataloging, making sure every last dime was accounted for, and securing.
It was 6 o'clock when the doors to the bank had opened and the chatter of the public drifted in.
It was all a blur to Lucy, she was just focused on work; a bright, cheery smile with a tone to match while taking care of deposits and withdrawals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm GMT 

Renée felt like something was in the room with her... She picked up a crowbar she kept around for emergencies and leaned it against he wall next to her as she dressed.

((Sorry for the short post))