THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

That first step is a woozy.
 Post subject: As Persistent as Ever
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 pm GMT 

Custom Title: That first step is a woozy.
The Persistent, a small ship once built for trade modified as a light weight fighter. The ship was fast and maneuverable, fighting against countless odds to defend ports and other unfortunate victims from pirates. The captain was a young man named Benedict, cocky and lucky to say the least.

The Persistent had fought many wars but one was just too much for her. It once held a crew of four now it's held in a cargo bay as a trophy for a pirate. Most of it's crew is dead, two died in the very cargo bay it's held in. Benedict's trader was shot point blank in the head and tossed overboard, Benedict himself died emotionally as he watched and parted with his ship. He was knocked out and thrown onto an escape vessel, drifting to a stop at port Angus.

Five years later, he's at a little known port twenty miles south of Angus. The one he resides at was one of his favorites to defend from pirates thus many people there owed him their lives and slowly repaid their dept to him. He considers himself washed up, a has-been, useless-

"-and a damn burden to this town." Benedict sighed and downed another glass. "Once a savior but now just a guy doing repair work on ships." He shook his head and slid his last glass forward.

The bartender heard this story before and in fact remembered what he and his crew once did. He listened in on his story about once a month when he gets bitter and knew that his fifth glass was his last. "A child cut down in his prime... and a warrior denied of his weapon. I remember when you saved me just off port, putting one well placed shot on the pirate's boiler and you toed me to shore. You were best... of your class. You were just out classed and out gunned, right?"

Benedict nodded, pulling his pocket watch out too look at the time but to mainly look at the group photo in front of his ship. "Yeah. Out classed and out gunned."

Just Damn Cute
 Post subject: Re: As Persistent as Ever
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:15 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Just Damn Cute
It'd been a while since they'd been in to see anyone at all. Been a while since they'd been off a ship for that matter. Finally though they made it into some port, set up a nice set of rooms, well just one room they were sharing, but they were fine with that. Milton figured that they should head to the bar to see what kind of news they could pick up from the locals, what kind of work might be hiring for them.

So he pulled his sister Rachel into the tavern, she pouting a bit him with a bright smile painted onto his face. He removed his bowler hat, cane under his other hand, (having dropped his sisters arm once they were through the door), and looked around the room. He smiled some more, liking the scene rather a lot. His leg was paining him some, and it was obvious as he did limp somewhat on his approach to the bar.

Rachel followed after him, not removing her hat or jacket just yet, following after her brother and keeping her dress up a bit from the dirty floor. Her eyes scanned the room as well, she didn't find it quite as pleasing as Milton had.

The two of them made it up to the bar, the both of them settling into stools not that far down from Benedict, Milton smiling down at him with a nod of his head, hat going down to the bar top, cane leaning against his bad leg.

For the Love of Words Updated 8 Jan 2013

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm GMT 

"Sorry Benedict, I've still got business to do and you're not the only one I serve to."

Benedict nodded in understanding and waved him off, he knew he could only keep him for so long. The bartender saw the new arrivals and went to Rachel, after all the saying was ladies first.

"Hello madam, what can I get you?"

Benedict lifted his head slightly at Milton, smiling with as much effort. "I know I haven't seen you before. Are you and her traders?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:08 pm GMT 

Rachel looked up at him, confused to why he was he was talking to her first. People typically went for her charmingly handsome and much more social brother first. "Ummm...a pint of ale I suppose," she said with a nice crisp accent, voice soft and almost timid. She pushed the netting in front of her eyes up and over her hat which she'd still not taken off but was at least starting to slip out of her outer jacket.

Milton looked to Benedict and smiled, at least glad that he wasn't so known here. Back home it was very common for people to see him and try and make him relive the glory days of his boxing career. "Ah no," he said with that same crisp accent of his sisters, his voice louder though, more bright. "Just travelers, wanders, what have you."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm GMT 

Wonders, eh? These two might have some valuable info. Benedict nodded and sat up some more, stretching. "Have you been at it for very long?"

"Coming right up." The bartender went to the other side of the bar and grabbed a large drinking glass. He then grabbed a bottle of ale and poured it a little bit below the rim, sliding the glass and it's contents across the bar over to her where it skidded to a stop. He then went to Milton as he corked the bottle. "Anything for you, sir?"

Last edited by Bertram Von Zedler on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:42 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:34 pm GMT 

((You do know how big a pint is right? Not a shot glass.))

"A while, but not like we've been into port all too much," he said with a shrug, looking to the bartender and ordering another pint like his sister had with a charming smile plastered all over his face. "If you please," he added onto the end of that.

Rachael sipped at her ale, smiling a bit once the cool liquid slid down her throat. She took a moment to press a hand under both her arms, not lifting the short under jacket she was wearing. With a satisfied little look she took a bigger drink.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 pm GMT 

((o_O *face palm*))

"I'm hoping to get out of here some time too. The sky is ever changing and I fear I have stayed out of it for too long. Do you know certain places I should avoid? Like paths I should and shouldn't take?"

The bartender nodded and did the same thing again, getting a glass and sliding it to a stop in front of Milton. He corked the bottle once more and went over to Rachel, doing his other half of the job which was to talk to the customers. "So, what brings you to this small port? Looking for a place to rest?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:18 pm GMT 

((There you go, I'll learn you some ;) ))

"I don't really know, honestly," he replied with another shrug, drinking a large portion of his drink before he put the glass down. "We've been really out of touch for a long time and I don't really recall any kind of weather problems on our way here that might still be in effect."

Rachael sipped at her drink more and pursed her lips as she looked up at the bartender. "Just needed a place to rest for the most part. Been out of touch far too long. And darling brother here is apparently in need of some companionship I can't provide him with."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:39 pm GMT 

"There's half of the problems I'd run into... but... what about pirates? Do you know where they go for trade or to loot?" Benedict asked, leaning back in his seat.

"Really? What kind of companionship are you talking about? A crew?... A women?" The bartender winked and chuckled.

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:58 pm GMT 

Milton shook his head, tapping at his bad knee for a moment with pursed lips. "Heard some rumors of pirates just west of here, but nothing that's been confirmed by anyone. Just whispers on the wind and all."

"A woman he's not related to," she said with something of an actual laugh for a moment, her cheeks flushing with the ale and making her her somewhat jolly self again. "I suppose I'm good enough crew most of the time, but there are needs I can't meet and would rather not think about trying to meet for him. Though more crew would probably better before we both drive each other insane."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:50 pm GMT 

That's not what Benedict was hoping for but it was another confirmation to add to his knowledge. "Oh... drats... I'm sure they still stick to their bad habits so I'll pick up on their routes eventually, like riding a bike I suppose."

"I'm not too sure where he can get some pleasure but I do know where he can get one of the finest crew members this side of the port... and he's talking to him right now." He pointed his thumb over to Benedict. "Flew a ship only big enough to hold five or six crew members but he took that crew in the skies for three years, pegging pirates twice his size out of the sky like they were just target practice. He might have been at this port for five years now but I can tell he's itching to get back in the air."

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:15 pm GMT 

((It maybe my lack of sleep and general sick feeling, but was the plan to get Benedict onto their ship to save his old one?))

Milton looked rather confused like at the other man. "What is it that you're going on about?" He didn't know who it was that Benedict was talking about, raising a thick eyebrow up his forehead.

She snorted softly, sipping her ale yet again. "Strange that is, that a bartender doesn't know where a brothel's at." She laughed softly, apparently either missing or just not ready to reply to the part about the captain over there, too busy shaking her head and mumbling about betrothal's and ladies of the night to herself.

Last edited by Artemis Selene on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:37 pm GMT 

((Sorry for the confusion, the bartender think he's doing him a favor by getting off the port. Benedict is still after his ship.))

"Huh?" Benedict didn't know what Milton was confused by until he thought about it. "Oh, pirates always have bad habits like... sticking to areas with medium cloud cover or hanging out by smaller and less heavily defended ports. That's what I'm talking about."

The bartender paused for a moment and then rolled his eyes. "Not that I don't know, there's just none here. Aren't you interested in what I said? That man was once a flying ace. People once hired him left and right just so he can pay more attention to their port. Imagine if you took him in as part of your crew?"

Just Damn Cute
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:12 pm GMT 

"Ah," the other man said, nodding his head a bit. "We've been thankful to avoid most of those lot for as long as we've been out."

"No I'm paying all sorts of attention to the things you're saying," she said with that sighing laugh still. "Brothel's are very important things for ports though, strange this place doesn't have one. You've got a flying ace but ain't got no brothel. Hmmm. Though suppose not so bad of an exchange. Not as good if he isn't as good as he used to be though."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:00 am GMT 

"I must have still scared them off of your route to here then after all these years. This place once had pirates swarming just outside the port. Pirates apparently give up after taking a only few shots back. Heh, cowards." Benedict chuckled. "So. What have you discovered on your past voyages? Mysterious lands, oddities in the air, riches beyond my wildest dreams? Any good stories like that?"

The bartender gave up, deciding just to roll with it and keep up the conversation. "The mayor wanted to make a good role model for other towns so he disallowed construction of such places. Wanting to keep the city clean of crime... and certain diseases. Like all his changes, it has an effect but hasn't cured the port of it."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next