THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:28 am GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Amicitia concero omnis
 Post subject: To Write Love On Her Arms, Free Hugs, notes, and smiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 am GMT 

Custom Title: Amicitia concero omnis
Given recent events and not-so-recent events, I figured I should write up this thread.

I've got four things I really enjoy/believe in.

First is To Write Love On Her Arms, or TWLOHA for short. "[It] is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire, and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery." "[It] began in Orlando, FL in February 2006 as a (written) story, the true story of five days spent with a friend who was denied entry into a drug treatment center. The story was a look at those five days, and the t-shirts were printed and sold initially as a way to pay for our friend's treatment." (From their FAQ page.)

It's a brilliant movement, and even if you can't donate, I think it's just as important to just. . .support it and spread the word about it. I'm actually becoming quite passionate about it.

The founder talking about TWLOHA.
The founder, footage from NBC Nightly News.

Second is the Free Hugs Campaign.

I figure I'll let the official video speak for itself. You can find so many videos on YouTube of others who have started to do the same - two of my favorites are set in Turku (where I currently live) and one from Umeå.

I'm planning to do it myself soon (as soon as exams are over, most likely), and I think it will be entirely worth it, if I can make even one person smile.

Third is something I read on a secret on dASecrets once: putting notes in library books. Nothing too elaborate. Perhaps just something with a silly, cute picture, something that will make someone smile if they see it. Anonymous, of course.

The fourth is something kind of. . .close to my heart. My mom has always told me, "Smile. I like smiling at people when I walk - sometimes they smile back." And she's right of course, but it's more than that. Sometimes people who were smiling before end up smiling after. Just on the way to class today, I saw at least 3 other people start smiling after I smiled at them. It was nice. I know it's not much, but...just maybe it helped. Maybe.

In any case, it can't hurt.

But yes, that's all I have to say at the moment, though I might go back over this when I'm less tired/have more time.

— Carl Sandburg

Det tog 25 år att ens komma så här långt och jag ser en framtid där jag kunde bli något stort...

Characters, and Timelines! Char solos!

Post subject: Re: To Write Love On Her Arms, Free Hugs, notes, and smiles
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:28 pm GMT 

This article is 6 months old and I'm not sure if it's been linked somewhere on this forum before, but it's still an uplifting read to me.

Crazy Cat Lady
 Post subject: Re: To Write Love On Her Arms, Free Hugs, notes, and smiles
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:21 am GMT 

Custom Title: Crazy Cat Lady
I live in a world that tried to ban Free Hugs? :evil:
Note to self: check local legal code, make sign, commit random acts of senseless empathy soon...