THE St. Louis Speakeasy
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 pm GMT

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Are you a cat or a dog person
I like cats. 24%  24%  [ 6 ]
I like dogs. 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
I like cats AND dogs. 56%  56%  [ 14 ]
I don't like either. 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 25

Wire Sculptor
 Post subject: Re: Are you a Cat Person or a Dog Person?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:52 pm GMT 

Location: The garage, living room, or wherever there's enough space to build.
Custom Title: Wire Sculptor
Smarticus, I would quote your wall of text, but it'd take up too much room on this one.

The content of my post was mainly for my own amusement, and possibly the amusement of others, it was intended to be absurdly opinionated.
--------

Smarticus, Since you brought up the subject of aggressive behavior in dogs, I will address it. This topic is serious, and I will treat it as such.

First of all, cats too kill and maim other cats, and other animals, though a cat by itself probably could not kill an adult human.

Dog fighting is illegal for good reason, and I am glad, it is absolutely barbaric; then again, so is cockfighting, bear baiting, boar baiting, and any other type of bloodsport involving animals of any kind.

Dog attacks: Most dog attacks on humans are accidental, and could be avoided. I myself was bitten by a dog, and a stray one at that, partially due to the dog's past (someone had abused it terribly and one of its eyes was either missing or severely infected, I couldn't tell which), but also due to the fact that in my naivety I approached it, and it feeling the need to protect it self bit me in the leg. The dog would not have bit me if I had kept my distance.

Dogs are territorial, and like most animals, cats included, will give warning signs before attacking. "Bully breeds" such as dobermans, pit bulls, and rottweilers are given a bad rap because many PEOPLE have trained them to be aggressive (I've known many pit bulls, rotties, and dobermans in my life, and they have all been sweet loving animals, because they were well loved). Another reason the "bullies" see so much press is because victims of dog attacks are more likely to report the attack if it was one of the "bully" dogs that came at them. In fact, the dog most likely to maul it owner is the Cocker Spaniel.

It's not usually the dog's fault if it attacks, it is how the animal was trained, and if a person gets bit it is probably, even most likely, because the person failed to read the dog's warning behaviors, as happened to me. Blame the people, not the dogs, this is not to say that random attacks by dogs do not happen, but that they are very rare, and when it comes down to it, it is probably because someone did something to the dog that it did not like, or made the dog feel threatened in some way shape or form.

-----------

As to Inbreeding, the same goes for cats; however, inbreeding in animals is used beneficially (if done correctly), mainly to keep good genes while weeding out the bad ones which can harm the animals. There are pro's and cons to this approach, but generally it is beneficial.

-----------

Quote:
Heard of roundworm?
Fleas?
Lyme disease?
Hookworm?

Cats have those too, not just dogs. People, as mammals are susceptible to the above listed as well.

Last edited by Sax Man on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

Professional Fangirl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:30 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Professional Fangirl
[quote="Sax Man"][/quote]
I appreciated that wall 'o text. Particularly about pit bulls and the "bully breeds". Behavior is almost completely based on the training the animal recieves, and some dogs, especially pit bulls, get a bad rep because bad people teach them bad behavior.
And if you look at statistics, apparently more people get bitten by golden retrievers than by pits. In fact even pits bred for fighting are actually bred to be non-aggressive to people. This is because their handlers can't get in the ring to pry the animals off each other if the animal is going to turn around and tear the handler apart.

What the fuck, man?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:44 pm GMT 

Custom Title: What the fuck, man?
ShadOBabe wrote:
I appreciated that wall 'o text. Particularly about pit bulls and the "bully breeds". Behavior is almost completely based on the training the animal recieves, and some dogs, especially pit bulls, get a bad rep because bad people teach them bad behavior.
And if you look at statistics, apparently more people get bitten by golden retrievers than by pits. In fact even pits bred for fighting are actually bred to be non-aggressive to people. This is because their handlers can't get in the ring to pry the animals off each other if the animal is going to turn around and tear the handler apart.

The statistic you referenced is probably because of A) there are far more golden retrievers, and B) they do not have the same reputation as pit bulls, so people are not nearly as cautious.

I think I have seen enough of pit bulls to know that they live up to their reputation a decent amount of the time. First off, my mother was attacked by one when she was pregnant with me, and her face was pretty badly distorted because of it. I also received a concussion in utero; make of that what you will. I also worked at a vet hospital for a few months. We boarded all sorts of dogs, and I was in charge of feeling them, walking them, etc. I dealt with a series of pits (from very clearly middle class families that were not using them to fight or anything like that), and they were the most aggressive dogs that I have ever dealt with by a long shot. I was nearly bitten twice, and my coworker was bitten once. Also, the pit bulls that I dealt with probably had the worst attitude of any breed I have ever seen, independent of aggression. The dogs in questions almost unilaterally defecated everywhere and barked and growled at me until I cleaned their little rooms out. The feces was not the problem; I got tons of dogs with diarrhea, which sucked, but was nothing special. It was the attitude/vibe that they gave off. Like they thought that the world was their oyster.

Grr, I really don't like those literal sons of bitches.

Professional Fangirl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:52 pm GMT 

[quote="Fenno"][/quote]
That's fair enough. I happen to like them. The ones I've met were very friendly and I still think it comes down to training. Mostly.
Some behavior is hardwired into dogs, like how collies will attempt to herd other animals and your children. And other times some animals just don't have good personalities. Pit bulls can really mess a person up if they aren't trained right (their jaw strength is nothing to sniff at). But like I said, I still like them and think if they act poorly it's usually their owners fault.

Edit: Crap, my quotes aren't working... Sry, occasional noob mistake. XD

Last edited by ShadOBabe on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:57 pm GMT, edited 1 time in total.

What the fuck, man?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 pm GMT 

I also believe that pretty much anything can be solved with training... Even though dogs are one of the lest responsive animals to training. I think pit bulls could totally be trained for normalization, but still, I'd rather have a lab.

Professional Fangirl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 pm GMT 

Fenno wrote:
I also believe that pretty much anything can be solved with training... Even though dogs are one of the lest responsive animals to training. I think pit bulls could totally be trained for normalization, but still, I'd rather have a lab.

Understandable. To me I think you have a legitimate reason to dislike the breed. You've had bad experiences with them, and it's not surprising that you have negative feelings about them. My experiences have been good, so I have positive feelings.
But it's the stigma that the animals get were they are labeled as monsters that bothers me. They're just animals, and unfortunately they're are too many of them being owned by irresponsible and/or just downright bad people.

Embodiment of contradictions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 pm GMT 

Custom Title: Embodiment of contradictions
That is my point.
If you're attacked by a cat, you're not going to be seriously hurt. Just some superficial wounds and a reminder not to touch that cat.
Nobody has been killed by a domesticated cat.
I know some dogs just have issues, but I like cats more because I know I'm not going to have to ever pay someones medical bills because they had a piece taken out of them by (Not really my) dogs, or because their dog was attacked by mine, or it killed one of their pets.
Cats kill things, yes.
Mostly pests like mice or small birds. Sometimes they kill a hamster but really that's quite a set of circumstances.
Of personal experience, I've only bore witness to 1 cat killing another in 10 years. Most every time, they give up, or run away. If a cat killed another cat it was probably already wounded or had an issue.

Sax man wrote:
Inbreeding... generally beneficial

As excellently shown by borderline... No, not even borderline, strait up mentally retarded breeds like rat terrier.
They chase BEARS because they can. They run headlong into traffic because they can. They jump off a 2 story bridge after fish because they can.

Labs are smart, however.
Sheepdogs, shepards, most of the large dogs show at least a smidgen of intelligence.
Hell, to narrow it down, I'd say I dislike SMALL dogs.
Those little yipey bastards that never cease to shut up and run at everything, all while shitting on every available surface.
I'd go so far as to say I like big dogs, if it wasn't for the fact that a certain husky used my bed for personal use after running in the rain.

And yes, cats get fleas and roundworm as well, but large, outdoor dogs are the primary carriers, seeing as many people take dogs with them on trips or hunting, exposing them to the parasites and bringing them back home.
I'm fairly certain part of the fact that cats aren't affected by fleas and ticks as much is their immaculate tendencies.

Yes, dogs attacking people is a terrible thing, I have family that's had part of their face removed by a pit bull (Leaving a permanent scar that will never heal) and another that is now missing a pinkie and 2 digits because of dog attacks, it's no laughing matter, and that's why I avoid it by not getting a dog.
My dislike of dogs is more of a personal issue than anything and I tend to project that.
I can get along with dogs but the thing I can't stand is people toting them like some sort of Aryan master race (WHICH YOU KINDA DID).
Like I said before, it's an opinion issue and can be debated forever, but I'd rather say they both have their perks and leave it at that.

You have a strange and evil mind on your shoulders, smarticus.

What the fuck, man?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:12 pm GMT 

I'm sort of with Smarticus in that I do not understand why people to tout a species as better than the other based on trends. Individuals should be examined rather than the whole. I don't have an opinion on dogs in general based off the fact that I had to hold them down while they were euthanized (which was quite desensitizing, by the way), I have an opinion on each individual dog that I meet. Which for a 3-4 month span, meant either being an accessory to euthanasia or cleaning up feces.

The One on Vacation It Seems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:16 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The One on Vacation It Seems
I've had some trouble with dogs in my, but it was due to me being a bit naive back then as well as inconsiderate that animals, like humans, need space as well. Still doesn't stop me from loving them though. But I do believe that dogs, if untrained properly, they will do as they please. Dogs, like wolves, exists in packs and need someone to be an alpha to lead them. In our case we need to be the alpha's to keep them in check. If the dog takes the alpha stance because he or she thinks you are too weak to be the leader, they will take over and push you around.

Think of the small lap dogs, why are they annoying the majority of the time? Because they think they are the alpha and are all yappy because they want their subordinates to listen to them and do what they want. No one "scolds" small dogs as much as they do big dogs. People see small dogs and cute and adorable and must be protected all the times. With larger dogs people scold them for jumping on people, breaking stuff, and laying on furniture. If dogs see too much affection they see it as a weakness, and small dogs when they are treated like kings or queens will become the alpha. I remember this being called the Small Dog Syndrome, because they bark, bite and bullies because they think they are bigger than anything else around the.

I have a small dog, a Cairn Terrier/Poddle mix which I adopted, the bugger was bossy, nippy, yappy and it wasn't until I began training him that he lost all that alpha like personality. Now he's pretty much a good dog now and does everything I say. He will bite/bark on command, so I know I'm safe if a burglar or anything un-welcomed comes into my home. He does growl to warn me that someone is at the door rather than bark. So if you train a dog well, he will bark on command rather than when he wants too. I also helped train my cousins German Shepherd. He was a tough cookie to crack but now he's the same as my dog. Im not saying every animal can be changed through training, some can't because it's the only lifestyle they've lived in.

But I understand many have bad experiences and good experiences with any kind of breed of animal. In all honestly, like I said earlier, I've had bad experiences with dogs, cats, birds and even exotic pets like a ferret. Still doesn't stop me from liking them. I know when it is and isn't my fault if they snapped at me. But I'll agree, owners are as equally responsible with their animals behavior. I didn't write this wall of text to dissuade any of you from not hating dogs and such. But just giving my opinion from experience. Each to their own I say.

What the fuck, man?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:34 pm GMT 

What sort of bad experiences have you had with exotic pets? Genuinely curious, because I've had one.

When I was in 7th grade, my teacher was nutty about animals, and as I went to a private school, he could keep whatever he wanted in the classroom, and let them run around on the tables that constituted our communal "desk" during classroom hours. Long story short, our python ate one of our chinchillas, and then proceeded to make a pretty good go at the rat after that.

That's about all I can say for exotics, unless you count the cockatiel, in which case then it is overwhelmingly positive.

Wire Sculptor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 pm GMT 

Location: The garage, living room, or wherever there's enough space to build.
Custom Title: Wire Sculptor
Smarticus, as I clearly said, albeit in my second post, my original post was mainly in jest. Just my over the top way of saying, I like dogs better. In the back of my mind were all of the countless counter arguments, but i ignored them, because I like to take a hard line some times, just for the hell of it. It's my way of rocking the boat a little just to make people squirm.

Making generalizations gets people into trouble, as does saying that, "Group A is all good, and group B is all bad" . There are those who buy into Oh My God, dogs are all that, or cats are all that. In my experience, everyone has his or her own reasons for liking or disliking anything, be it cats, dogs, horses, not even limited to animals, it extends to anything you can think of and more.

Anyhow, You like cats better, and I respect your decision, I respect the fact that you don't like dogs, even to the point of loathing. You have your reasons.

I like dogs better, and I have my reasons.

In my opinion as long as we, not just you and I smarticus, but everyone, can respect one another's right to his or her own opinion, based upon his or her own reasons, the world will be a better place.

I apologise for digressing from the topic. I just felt like being philosophical. Sorry everyone. Back to the order of business.

Professional Fangirl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:40 pm GMT 

Ummm... That was very dumb of your teacher to let the python near the rodents... Poor chinchilla...
Heh, worst experience I ever had with and exotic was my friend's ferret darting out from nowhere to nibble my toes. But it was more funny than traumatic. Worse experience I ever had with any animal was with a pet hamster I had. It bit me and drew blood and I was pretty young. I forgave it, but I'm still wary of hamsters. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:44 pm GMT 

Well I don't HATE dogs and I don't LOVE cats.
Honestly, I like lizards more.
Lizards are fukkin cool.
Snakes too.
It's just that's one of my buttons and I'm high strung right now.
Probably my biggest button (Aryan race-ing).
It's great that we can see eye to eye on the opinions matter but please don't do that again.

The One on Vacation It Seems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:51 pm GMT 

Custom Title: The One on Vacation It Seems
Exotic wise?

A family friends son owned a ferret (which are illegal to own in California, I'm not sure if in other states they are, so I consider them exotic). He allowed the ferret to roam around freely within the family home even when visit came over. Said ferret though, decided that my earrings were a toy and began pulling at it until he literally yanked it off completely. I bled from the hole for a good while, later on the injury became infected buts that's another story. Well the kid didn't apologize for his pets actions (the parents kind of did but still) nor did he put it in a cage. In the end my mom and I had to remove our earrings and put them away unless we wanted bloody and sore ears.

Another one was the large white cockatiel. The person trained it to "hate" women. I'm unsure of how this was possible but he managed it. I didn't know this. Believing it was tamed and such since it was on one of those tree like posts and pretty much unconstrained neared it. The bird flung forward and bit down on my nose. Thankfully, I didn't get a scar, just a red nose. I've had quite a few other similar to this with other birds.

I think the most scary experience I had, though hasn't prevented me from liking snakes, was my high school teachers pet snake. I don't remember if it was a python or some other species. It escaped from its terrarium and I was the one closest to its habitat. Well it managed to constrict my leg and bite me. It hurt, like hell.

Those are pretty much all. Oh, and I got bit on the chin by my own dog as well when I was younger, but she doesn't count as exotic and I was pretty much just inconsiderate of her eating space when I was young.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:54 pm GMT 

Ah, ferrets are pretty cool too.
A cousin of mine had one, it was quite.... Adventurous?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next